Just thinking about that Bonnie Tyler song gives me a cheap thrill. This week, we talk about what we like to see in a hero.
1) I like an alpha with beta qualities. I like my heroes to be able to carry the heroine when she faints or shoot the bad guy in the face with no qualms. But I also like a guy who can quote The Breakfast Club or a good Heathers line (like the book Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist).
2) I like a guy who is a good listener and a great problem-solver. He’s a great shoulder to cry on, a warm hug to lean into, a nice pair of lips to forget your troubles with.
3) I like Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice), I like Edward Cullen (Twilight), I like Stan Crandall (Fifteen), I like Tarzan (from Edgar Rice Burroughs’ book and as the Johnny Weismuller character), I like Col. Christopher Brandon (Alan Rickman’s character in Sense and Sensibility), I like the gigolo from The Wedding Date, I like Bill Pullman’s character from While You Were Sleeping, I like Judd Nelson from The Breakfast Club, I like Aidan AND Mr. Big. What do they all share? They all seem to have a good mix of alpha/beta qualities.
4) I like my current hero, Gabe, because he has a big secret. And hero just isn’t a hero without a great secret.
5) Another thing about Gabe? He’s an alpha and a beta AND he looks like Judd Nelson from The Breakfast Club. Ahhhh… my hero comes full circle.