This week we’re discussing all the things we loved about High School. All I can say is I’m glad this is the 5 Randoms and not the 10 or 15 Randoms.
1) Study Hall. Any class period that didn’t involve any actual learning were sa-weeeet. Don’t get me wrong, I love learning, and I passed all my classes, etc… But I like doing it on my own, without the “I’m going to fail you if you don’t do this my way” attitude most teachers had.
2) Mrs. Budd. My senior English teacher was perhaps the coolest teacher I had. She once assigned us a creative writing paper where we were to explore a new, fictitious tangent of Hamlet. I remember being thrilled (and totally embarrassed) when she read mine out loud to the class. I think it was the first time someone outside my family expressed excitement about my writing.
3) French Fries. Every day at lunch we ordered up a greasy dish of French Fries with mustard to dip them in. They were deliciously disgusting, but who cared? Cellulite was eons away and only for old people, right?
4) Lockers. I loved having a locker. It was THE place to hang in the mornings. Mine was right near the doors to the parking lot, so needless to say, it was some prime realty.
5) Gym. I have to admit, I said I didn’t like gym at the time, but even though I was an athletic disaster, gym was the easiest class invented EVER. I took archery, aerobics (yes, seriously), the weight room when I failed to do a single pull-up, and volleyball…come on, who’d rather be doing math or chemistry?