Another week, another randomest of randoms blog. Bare with me as I balance the keyboard, my Puffs tissues, my Ricola, and my toddler:
1) Why oh why did I get a second cold within two months? And when I get a cold, it’s this cold/flu hybrid, with chills and no breathing and me going through five boxes of Puffs and three bags of Ricola? I think this is my penance for never having broken a bone (knock on wood).
2) I’ve been reading a lot of YA lately, and while a lot of it makes me think “I can’t write this good,” a lot of it makes me think “I can write SO much better than this.” One stand-out was Rachel Cohn’s Nick and Norah. It had a lot of music monologues I could’ve done without, but I loved the passion between these two kids.
3) Because of my stupid cold/flu hybrid, I missed seeing Jodi Picoult. She was speaking at the Dartmouth Bookstore over the weekend, an event I’d penned onto my calendar about two months ago. Then I woke up Sunday morning with a fever and chills. Argh! In October, Tess Gerritsen is coming out here, so here’s hoping the every-two-months cold/flu hybrid doesn’t strike again.
4) I’ve been going to the library a lot more because, well, it’s free. But the library in our small town is, well, small. And they don’t carry about 80 percent of the books I want. The “big town library” thirty minutes is well-stocked–and $80 a year for anyone who’s not a resident of the “big town.” That sorts of defeats the whole “free” thing, right?
5) Speaking of which, I’m off to pick up a book I reserved at the “small town” library. It only took four days to get in, so that’s promising, right? I’m just going to have to get rid of that instant gratification part of me, or I’m going to be sorely disappointed in this library for the rest of my life. And I can’t be passing on that characteristic to the little one, can I?